Happy Rosh Hashanah
Pro 1, Class 15
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 3/4 to 4 cups all purpose flour
poppy and sesame seeds
1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1. Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl which has first been rinsed with hot water. Sprinkle yeast on top and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve.
2. Combine with oil, remaining water, sugar, salt, eggs, and half the flour. Beat well. Stir in remaining flour. Dough should be sticky. Cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 10 minutes, adding flour as needed.
3. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to proof until doubled.
4. Punch down. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Shape into strands. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and braid loosely. Fasten ends securely. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled.
5. Brush with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with seeds. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until golden brown with an internal temperature of 200 degrees.